Planning your own fundraising event
Your fundraising event for Streetlife will make a lasting contribution to the lives of vulnerable and homeless young people across Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre. We are facing unprecedented need as we enter 2016 and so the challenge is on to raise £150,000 to replace funding lost last year and to continue the work we currently do.
Organising an event is simple and our step-by-step guide makes it even easier to have fun.
We can provide resources to help your event go smoothly so why wait? Your fundraising challenge can start today!
Just follow the steps to get started…
Plan: run, jump, ski or fly…
What do you want to do? Pick an activity that you and your friends love. There aren’t any rules so you can choose anything you want. Maybe you’re passionate about football or a whiz at chess – in that case, why not make your next match a charity challenge? Maybe baking cakes is your thing or perhaps you can persuade the kids to take on a sponsored silence… *bliss*
Maybe you’d prefer something on a larger scale and get your whole circle of family and friends, school or place of work involved. You could hold a dress-down day, or organise a fun run. If you’re in a band, put on a gig. Or maybe you’ve always wanted to jump out of a plane but never had the guts. If you’re feeling retro, why not stage a jousting tournament or a good old fashioned ‘It’s a Knockout’ contest? The possibilities are endless.
OK, we’re being a bit silly now. But the point is this – nothing is too simple or too ambitious. Feel free to be as daring, creative or just plain crazy as you like.
If you’re stuck for ideas, take a look at our Fundraising ideas sheet
When: today, tomorrow, next Wednesday…
Your next task is to choose a date. Get the calendar out, decide on a date that everyone can make, and make sure it doesn’t clash with any major events. Don’t forget to allow plenty of time for preparation.
Once you have set a date, tell us about it. We may need to send you some resources or provide advice on practicalities. Allow enough time for us to help you get ready.
Where: home or away?
The next step is to choose a location. Depending on the nature of your event, you may need to think about access issues. You want to make sure everyone can take part. If you need to book a venue, ask if they have a charity rate.
Promote: talk, talk, talk
Get the word out – invite friends, family, school-friends, neighbours and colleagues. Put up posters, distribute leaflets, and take advantage of social media (more on this below). Really fly the flag to make sure your event is a success!
Donate: money, money, money
Next comes the important bit: sending in the money! And of course, we’d also love to hear all about your event and see any photos you might have.
Help and Advice
Organising and hosting your own fundraising challenge can be great fun and we know your event will be a huge success. At times, however, you might need some guidance, and we’re on hand to help if you need us. The following tips should help answer many of your questions and ensure your event goes down a storm.
- Advertising your event in the local press and on radio stations is a fantastic way to gain support from your community. If you need help writing a press release feel free to contact email@example.com
- Make use of Social Media, it is a great way to promote your event, and you can link to other Streetlife supporters via our Facebook Page, Instagram and Twitter feeds. When you’re done, upload your event photos to inspire others to get fundraising.
- Need any balloons, posters… t shirts? Get in touch with Penny – 01253 294477
Keep it legal
- Do be sure to consider the legal and safety aspects of your event. If you are undertaking a public collection or street collection you will need a license from the local authority. Please read keeping your fundraising event legal and safe for more information about collections.
Making your donation
- You can send us your donation online, by post or by phone. For further information see our Just Giving page where you can instantly add your Gift Aid and increase your donation by 25%!
If you have any other questions about organising your fundraising event, feel free to get in touch. Penny, 01253 294477.
Without any cost to you or your sponsors, we can reclaim an additional 25% from the government. For us to be able to claim Gift Aid on your donation you need to confirm that you are a UK tax payer and that you pay an amount of income tax or capital gains tax equal to the tax we reclaim on your donations. Download the Gift Aid form here.
We really appreciate all the hard work that our fundraisers put in to create successful and enjoyable events that not only raise funds but also help inspire others to support Streetlife.